Your Roof Has Enemies
Request A Free Estimate
Your Roof's Biggest Enemies
Roof protection in Navarre, Pensacola, FL & the surrounding FL communities.
A roof system’s performance is affected by numerous factors. When you work with Quality Roofing Solutions, you can rely on us making sure that every component of your roof is in good repair and proper working condition, so it protects your home the way it was designed to.
All of These Can Damage Your Florida Roof
- Sun: Roofing materials will deteriorate after a period of time due to the heat and UV rays, with faster deterioration occurring on the west- or south-facing sides of the home.
- Rain: Water from rain storms can flow underneath shingles or other roofing materials, working its way to the roof deck. Once this happens, you are in danger of the roof structure beginning to rot, which can cause mildew and mold to get into the walls, ceilings, and insulation.
- Wind: Strong winds can lift roofing materials, allowing water and debris underneath. Extremely high winds can cause more significant structural damage.
- Snow and Ice: If snow or ice refreezes to your roof overhang, it can form an ice dam that can block the gutter from draining properly. When this happens, the moisture has to go somewhere, which is the interior of your home. Take care of snow and ice to keep those gutters in good shape.
- Condensation: If the air is warm and the air is humid, moisture in your attic can cause the wood structure to decay, while also facilitating the growth of mold and mildew. Make sure your attic is ventilated to keep its temperature as close to the outside temperature as possible.
- Moss and Algae: Moss can grow on wooden shingles or shakes, holding more moisture to the roof’s surface, which can lead to rot. The moss roots can eventually work into the wood deck and structure. Algae can also grow in damp, shaded wood areas or in asphalt. Identified by its black-green stain, algae can cause rot and deterioration. This is also why trees and bushes should be trimmed away to eliminate damp, shaded areas and to keep the gutters clean to ensure proper drainage.
- Trees and Leaves: Tree branches touching a roof will scratch and gouge roofing materials when the branches are blown by the wind. Falling branches from overhanging trees can damage or even puncture shingles and other roofing materials. Leaves on a roof system’s surface retain moisture and cause rot, while leaves in the gutters block drainage.
- Missing or Torn Shingles: When you have shingles missing or torn off, it leaves your home’s interior water damaged and rotted, and the problem will only get worse with nearby shingles left vulnerable, too.
- Shingle Deterioration: Old, worn-out shingles will curl and split, making them ineffective in waterproofing. These shingles can also be torn away easily with solid gusts of wind, meaning the problem will only get worse.
- Flashing Deterioration: Many times, leaks that look like roof leaks are actually leaks in the flashing. You need sound, tight flashings near chimneys, vents, skylights, and roof junctions to keep your interior water-free and safe from deterioration and rot. You should get your flashings checked regularly.
Let Quality Roofing Solutions help you protect your roof! Contact us today in Milton, FL today!