Metal roofs are among the most popular roofs in America today. Known for their longevity, minimal maintenance, and energy efficiency, a metal roof can provide years of protection against the Florida climate. Metal roofs are also surprisingly easy to install and maintain.
Homeowners can choose from standard corrugated and standing seam configurations as well as different types of specialty metal roof materials such as galvanized steel, copper, aluminum, zinc, and tin. Let’s take a closer look at the features and benefits of the standard residential metal roofing options to give you a better idea of what to expect.
What to Look for in Metal Roofs
With all the types of metal roofs available today, finding the right product can be challenging. If you are unsure where to start, you may want to consult your roofing contractor. They can go over the types of metal roofs available and make recommendations on which type is best.
When choosing a metal roof, look for the following characteristics:
- Durability – The roof material should have properties that are favorable for the Florida climate.
- Longevity – Any quality metal roof will last at least 50 years and may protect for up to 100 years with maintenance and care.
- Style/Design – Metal roofs carry the stigma of being cold and mechanical with a very little flair. However, manufacturers design metal roofs with a broad spectrum of styles, designs, colors, textures, and dimensions.
- Energy-Efficiency – Although the figures vary from product to product, a metal roof should save you between 30 and 50 percent on your heating and cooling bills.
- Ease of Installation – Metal roofing should never be heavy. As such, contractors can install it with ease, reducing labor costs as compared to other long-term roof systems. Metal should also require less structural support than other roofs with comparable life spans, such as tile roofing.
- Cost – Some metal roofing, such as steel and aluminum, are fairly cost-effective. Other metal roofing, such as zinc or copper, can be more expensive.
Corrugated Metal Roofs
Average cost per square foot: $3.50 – $7.50
Corrugated metal roofs can be used for both residential and commercial applications, giving them added versatility. Homeowners like corrugated metal roofs for several reasons. They offer dependable weather protection, energy code compliance, enhanced interior comfort, high property value, and carbon emission reduction.
Due to their design, corrugated metal roofs are among the most cost-effective and easy to install metal roofs in the industry. Because they are lightweight, they require less labor to install than other types of metal roofing and require and less structural support. However, there is some maintenance required for corrugated roofs. It is recommended that you do an annual rinsing of the panels to prevent corrosion. In addition, you may need to re-tighten the fasteners every 3-5 years and replace the fasteners every 12-15 years.
Standing Seam Metal Roof
Average cost per square foot: $6.00 – $12.00
Standing seam metal is constructed from metal panels that span your entire roof, running from the ridge to the eave. Each panel has a seam that connects to the adjacent panel and covers the nailing fin or clips which lock onto the panel seam and are attached to the roof deck. This design keeps all of the metal roofing fasteners hidden beneath the finished metal roof and thus eliminates all of the maintenance related to the fasteners with a corrugated metal roof.
Standing seam roofs can be made of almost any material, however, most homeowners prefer either aluminum or steel. Steel is typically the most popular choice due to the lower price point however, aluminum is the preferred alternative in coastal applications where the salt spray can have devastating effects on a steel roof. Standing seam roofs are highly durable, attractive and with the right material choice, rust-proof as well. They can last more than 50 years with routine care and maintenance.
Metal Roofing Installation on the Coast
Quality Roofing offers premier roofing services for homeowners in Florida. To find out more about our metal roofing installation solutions, call (850) 204-0443 or fill out the quick form on our contact page.